Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Caylin Braverman's Response to Act 1 of M. Butterfly

I enjoyed reading the first act of this play. I think all of the characters are intriguing and what's even more interesting are the interactions between these characters. Hwang even sets up the play to draw the audience in, opening with Gallimard in his prison cell describing his situation. Then we see a conversation between two men and a woman having a discussion that clearly has something to do with sex. Immediately the audience has questions about why Gallimard is in the prison cell and what the three people are discussing. I liked the opening of the play because it made me want to continue reading to figure out the answers to these questions.
I have to admit I wasn't expecting as much sex or sexual references as there is in M. Butterfly. Act 1 Scene 5 made me a little uncomfortable when the pinup girl and Gallimard were having a conversation, or a better word I guess I could use is seduction. Although this wasn't actually a real interaction I still felt uncomfortable; Gallimard's reactions to the girl only added to my discomfort. This scene also brought my attention to the fact that stereotyping is a huge issue in the play. 
Hwang's play addresses Western stereotypes concerning Asians and the preconceptions affecting national, racial and East-West tensions. This became very apparent in Act 1 Scene 6 when Song and Gallimard are discussing Butterfly. Song asks Gallimard to consider what would happen if a blonde homecoming queen fell in love with a short Japanese businessman. Clearly, Song is severely stereotyping to help Gallimard fully understand the position she is in. He responds saying he sees her point realizing that the play does, in fact, demonstrate the roles of the submissive Oriental woman and the cruel white man. I guess we'll just have to wait to find out what really happens between Gallimard and Song.

No comments:

Post a Comment