Wednesday, April 1, 2009

M. Butterly Act One

The thing in M. Butterfly I found most intriguing and enjoyable was the style in which the protagonist speaks to the audience. I think its very similar to stream of consciousness writing. The reader or play attendee is allowed to experience everything just as the narrator does and even gain entrance into his thoughts. It made the play much more interesting for me. While the plot itself makes the play unique and interesting, it was the style of writing that made the first act enjoyable for me. Being inside Gallimard's head conveyed his nervousness and bewilderment of what was happening better than any other writing could have.

I also liked the transient characters. Marc is never actually there but is more of a conscience. I think he represents the dominating Western male stereotype that has manifested itself in Gallimard. He urges him on to be the Western man that is in Madame Butterfly.

One thing that was slightly annoying to me was the way the each actor portrayed multiple characters. It seemed to be in place to show the parallel themes with Madame Butterfly. It showed each character's true self as portrayed in an opera. While reading the first act I became confused a few times when the characters were intertwined. I can't imagine how much more confusing that would be while watching live without notes.

No comments:

Post a Comment