Tuesday, March 31, 2009

almost a side note

Out of all the sections of Beloved, this last part has had the least amount of impact on me. I can’t put my finger on why that is, although I can compare it to my own experiences writing. It’s similar to when I reach the end of my deadline and my writing style deteriorates as I struggle to finish in time. I’m not saying that the ending is bad per se, but I don’t feel like it meets the standard the rest of the book set. If anything, it seems emotionally distant, more like watching a movie than being immersed in the character’s life’s.
I realized halfway through the book that the public library had Beloved on cd. I’m not sure if anyone else is familiar with the concept of books on cd – a voice actor reads the book and you play it like a cd, pretty self explanatory. Plus they can be imported onto an ipod. But anyway, I checked the book on cd out when I realized that Toni Morrison herself read the story. I thought it would be a great way to get an even better view of the story, since Morrison might put more emphasis on certain things, or put some of the emotion she used when writing the book into the reading of it. So when I didn’t get into the last part of the book I listened to one of the cd’s. It didn’t help. Morrison’s voice is soft and she didn’t use strong emotions like I thought she would. Her voice was more something that you would fall asleep to than commanding and giving purpose and meaning to the words. It made me wonder how she expected people to read the book. Although it doesn't keep the reader on the edge of their seat, it isn’t something to be read lightly, at least not to my way of thinking. Now I’m left wondering is Morrison, not being a voice actor, simply didn’t have the ability to verbally give the words power or if she wanted the reader to flow through the book without becoming attached to anything in particular.

No comments:

Post a Comment