Thursday, January 29, 2009

It's hard for me to get excited about "plug in" poetry.

Maybe it's wrong that I don't get impressed with form. Guess I've always liked poetry for the main reason that I think everyone accidently does it. My psychology professor once related memory to the ability of, "pinning butter to a clothesline" and I've always remembered and loved that. He's a very mathematical dude and yet he said something that just really resounded in me. I hate the fact that some poems could be written so much better as free verse, and yet the writer feels like that doesn't make it as good. "Because a sonnet is more difficult." But it's my opinion that the most difficult poem is getting a reader to have a personal connection to it. I did "First Fight. Then Fiddle" for my poetry response and I just got so burned out on the poem. Fitting 10 syllables to a line is cool, having every other line rhyme is cool. But I think images are the strongest thing about the poem and spending all that time on form just seems like a waste. We like the "a-hah!" moment on other people's faces. We like getting them ourselves too. I didn't get any a-hahs from it. Nothing actually reached any of my emotions. There are cool words, yeah, and I really liked the alliteration. But I read the poem and I thought it was pretty dull which hurt because Gwendolyn Brooks is such a great poet and I had such a hard time writing a 2 page analysis and I've never really had difficult writing papers on poetry before.

No comments:

Post a Comment