Wednesday, January 28, 2009

A nice view of cultured hell

I have always been more interested in the context than the style or form of whatever I’m reading. With poetry it’s the same way, although a poem, by the sometimes vagueness of the lines, gives a bit more room for personal interpretation than a story does. Sometimes poetry has a bit too much vagueness for my liking. But “America” by Claude McKay definitely has a message and sticks to it so well that even on the first reading, it’s clear the image he is trying to present. This is exactly what I like to see in a poem. His title gives the reader the necessary starting place from which to view the poem. He is talking about America. About how being here (he moved from Jamaica) is both trial and reward; ‘bitterness’ and ‘cultured hell.’ But it doesn't bother him. He loves it. And it’s plain to see. He doesn't try to hide it with a bunch of flowery language or make everything a vague undercurrent. It’s simple and straightforward and I can’t reiterate how much I like that in a poem. Plus the subject matter is pleasant. So many poems I’ve read are politically aimed or are filled with distress at the way things are going. I was once told that the reason few ‘happy’ poems are found is because happy people are out being happy and not inside writing poetry. But I would say that this poem does have a happier feel to it. There is definitely suffering in this poem. But despite that McKay loves America, even if it is a love / hate relationship, and the poem really works for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment