Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Number 44

Today I once again witnessed history in the making and it was quite awe inspiring to say the least. I think it shows something about America that we can finally elect our first African-American President, but overall I think it shows that America is ready for a much needed change. With all the struggle we face in America now it is hard to think we will ever recover, but President Obama is right, we have been through many tough times and each time we Americans overcame our troubles and continued to survive and thrive. His positive attitude towards the times ahead is something that really made me optimistic and hopeful, and this is what America needs and what President Obama is bringing, Hope. Now after I heard and read Elizabeth Alexander's poem, "Praise Song for the Day," I can really see a connection between it and this historic occasion. The part where she talks about "the many who died for this day" and "who laid the train tracks, raised bridges..." really rings true with President Obama's speech; they both seem to intertwine with each other and create a new meaning of Hope and Change for America in this troubled time. The framework has been laid for us by those heroes of the past and now it is our turn as heroes to rise up and continue the effort to build America. This is truly a historical event and we are definitely living in very interesting times. As an American, I am anxious to see what awaits us in the future under the leadership of President Obama. Now unfortunately I wasn't able to see the speech live today, but luckily I was able to watch it online with a transcript. I found that watching it this way gave me a little more context to work will and I felt that I was able to understand his meaning on a deeper level that I would have otherwise; the same goes for Elizabeth Alexander's poem. Seeing the two texts together helped me to better find connections between the two. Although I would have much rather seen President Obama's speech live, I found that this way was much more beneficial to fully understanding it and its connection to Elizabeth Alexander's Poem. Today was history in the making and I can say that I am very proud to be an American.

God Bless America.

No comments:

Post a Comment