Thursday, February 5, 2009

Oh Beyonce, you've done it again.

I've never really been a fan of hers but I've liked a couple of her songs over the years. This was one of the ones that actually caught me (Even though it was ridiculously stolen from a less commonly known artist BC Jean and that makes me pretty angry). However, looking at the song lyrically it is really interesting. "If I were a boy/ I think I could understand/ How it feels to love a girl/ I swear I'd be a better man/ I'd listen to her/ 'Cause I know how it hurts".  I think it's an interesting point that girls would make a better man to a woman because they know what they want and wouldn't hold themselves to male stereotypes that make a relationship difficult like "Turn off my phone", "Drink beer with the guys" or "Put myself first". All of these things which are described as the reason the relationship is painful and can't work. I watched the music video that went along with the song and then at the end she switches from acting like "a man" to being the victim which I thought was interesting because while she is talking about how she would be a better man, it is still very easy to see a woman doing all of those same mean things to a man she is with. They aren't exclusive to one sex like the song insinuates.

No comments:

Post a Comment