Wednesday, February 25, 2009

A Violent Dance

So after watching "West Side Story," I can see now how violent dancing really can be. I mean, wow, that was some hardcore dancing that took place. But in all seriousness, I like how this movie uses dancing and singing to convey violence without it actually being all that violent; all the fight scenes are just big choreographed dance numbers. I think believe that this is some sort of social commentary on our society. On the one hand you have violent acts like fighting or "rumbling" and then on the other you have dancing which I doubt people associate with violence all that much. Yet, the non-violent act of dancing is used to represent the violent acts that are in this film. I think is it just very ironic that these two opposite sides of the social spectrum come together and are used to represent each other. That's the one thing that really stood out to me. Well, also that fact that most of the people that played Peutro Ricans were really white people. I thought that was an interesting fact that kind of make the film seem alot more cheesier to me, which is amazing since I didn't think this film could get any cheesier.

No comments:

Post a Comment