Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Romeo and Mercutio

I think that Mercutio is my favorite character from "Romeo and Juliet." He just seems like the kind of guy that you could get along with and have a good time. And then he dies in act III.1...and that upset me. Well, I knew it was coming mind you, but still. Now even though my favorite character dies in this scene, I still think it is an interesting scene. It's one of the few scenes where Romeo mans up and stops whining in long winded monologues. And it also is great, because Mercutio calls Romeo out on his being an emotional creeper, "Why the devil came you between us? I was hurt under your arm" (III.i.101-102), and the Montagues and the Capulets on their stupid feud, "A plague a both your houses!" (III.i.90). I think it is good that someone at least had the sense to see how silly everyone was acting, but as much as I like this scene it confuses me too. Why does Tybalt run off only to return a little while later? It doesn't make sense. Either way, this scene, in my opinion, is like the climax of the play. So much happens here that changes how the story is going to end. Oh Mercutio, if only you hadn't of picked that fight with Tybalt and if only Romeo would have picked a better time to man up; really now, one of the few times he does this it gets him into a load of trouble.
One last thing I would like to comment on is just how whinny Romeo is, I just can't stand it. Every time something happens to him he has to have some monologue detailing exactly how he feels so everyone just has to know, "'Tis torture, and not mercy. Heaven is here, where Juliet lives..." (III.iii.29), and this continues for many lines more. It's just crazy...oh Romeo, please just stop talking...

No comments:

Post a Comment