Wednesday, March 11, 2009

A Beloved

After reading this far in the book I can say that I am pleasantly surprised by the story. I have read another one of Toni Morrison's books and I didn't really like it, but there is something about this book that I really like so far. In the latest section that I read I found very interesting. The appearance of Beloved is just really strange and kind of mystifying. I guess that she was the baby that had died, but it still was just really odd. Some some reason, whenever they talked about her I thought of Samera from the movie "The Ring". I think it was because of how creepy Beloved sounded from the descriptions of her. I think that she is a really interesting character and also a good plot device used to show more of the character's pasts so we can learn more about who they are. When she was first introduced I suspected that she was the physical manifestation of the dead baby just by her name. What I thought was odd was how mean and evil the baby seemed when it was a ghost, but now she was nicer, but still creepy. I don't really see how that connects yet, but hopefully it will become more clear later on in the story. When Beloved finally told Denver who she really was, I found it really interesting how she described being dead and in 'the other place'. Then when she described how she came to be in front of their house, that was just weird. Anywho, I really like this book so far and now with Beloved thrown into the mix, I can only expect this story to get much more interesting and probably a little stranger.

No comments:

Post a Comment