Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Third time around and I still have questions.

Something that has always bothered me when reading Beloved for other classes is that I feel like Stamp Paid is this absolutely fascinating character and a lot of people even forget that he's even in the story. When you learn the story of his wife and how he was forced to give her to the slave owner's son for sex. How she was raped. That was the reason for his changing of his name because according to him, there is no greater sacrifice or action he is required to do that no matter what- he has made up for whatever he has done or will ever do. Yet I wanted a little more insight into how he felt about his wife after she came back to him. And WHERE she was at the current point in the story. Maybe I just miss it but I've never known the answer to those questions.
Another thing I've wondered is the relationship between Stamp Paid and Baby Suggs. You learn that they are close and that's why he feels the desire to take care of Sethe and the family slightly and why he blames himself even more for inadvertently sending Paul D away. But WHY were Stamp Paid and Baby Suggs close? What was their connection??
When Paul D sleeps with Beloved, I thought it would become a major crisis within the story and between Sethe and him. Yet, it never really seems to have the presence I thought it would. WHY isn't it a big deal?? Why doesn't Morrison bring this issue into play and then do nothing with it? Why does this situation open up his "tin heart" and have him saying 'red heart' over and over again. Yet, sleeping with Sethe had no where near the same emotion?

No comments:

Post a Comment