Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Beloved's Purpose

Beloved is so mysterious making me confused on her role in the book. At first I thought she was simply another character who had entered, but soon realized that was not the case. I believe Beloved plays as representation of history. When Denver asks Beloved what her previous home or life was like she replies that it was “Dark” (88). She continues to say “I’m small in the place” and “A lot of people is down there. Some is dead” (88). This to me could be translated as being an African American during times of slavery. People were dying from starvation and horrible lifestyles and being small symbolizes having no power and just being another slave.

Although I think Beloved symbolizes the history of African Americans and slaves as general—she is also potentially Sethe’s daughter. As Denver and Beloved argue a little, Beloved reminds Denver “She is the one I need” (89). Beloved is relying on seeing Sethe –this is also portrayed from earlier in the book when she would wait for Sethe’s return every day and walk her to the house. When Beloved says, “I belong here”(89) it makes it seem as though this is where she has been previously. Perhaps she is the ghost who haunted this house yet now in a different form.

As of now in the book, Paul D. is the only one who finds Beloved’s character suspicious, but I feel that things will soon heat up to what her real identity and purpose will be. Whatever Beloved’s role may be, it is clear that she is magical and powerful. For example, “Denver was seeing it now and feeling it—through Beloved” (91). Denver is mesmerized by Beloved and constantly wants to watch her and be in her company. Her presence changes though as Denver realizes Beloveds true character when she says, “Then stay, but don’t never tell me what to do. Don’t never do that” (89) even though Beloved is living in her house and for all they know she is a complete stranger. Beloved also instigates the discussion of Paul D. and Sethe’s sad history. A conversation about holding on to people turns into the truth about Sethe and Halle’s parting.

As of now I think Beloved represents the horrific history of African American slaves and also the death of Sethe’s first-born child. I am excited to see how it plays out, as I am very confused at the time being.

No comments:

Post a Comment