Wednesday, March 11, 2009

I want to start out by saying that I'm a little confused right now. When the character of Beloved enters in the story, I thought it was just a coincidence that this runaway girl and Sethe's "dead" daughter have the same name. But then I kept reading and realized that this might be Sethe's daughter, but I'm still not absolutely sure it is her. The fact that Beloved says she needs Sethe and is so drawn to her makes me think it could really be her daughter but we are told in the beginning of the story that she died around the age of two. I'm sure as I keep reading I'll figure this out but right now I'm not sure how Beloved has a connection to Sethe or anyone else for that matter.
Something that stood out to me during this section of the book was the great amount of story telling. So far, most of the characters have told or will probably continue to tell stories as way of giving out information and as a link to healing. I think there is a link between story telling and healing because most of these characters have never talked about their past, and in doing so they are able to almost re-live that moment and just open up to someone else about the pain or torture they received in the past. Even though Sethe says she doesn't like telling stories, when she does tell Denver or whoever else her stories she finds she actually feels better. Sometimes it's better to get everything out in the open rather than keep it in to yourself, especially for Sethe. 
When Denver is telling Beloved the story about her mother giving birth, she says while she is telling the story that she can actually feel what her mother went through. Maybe story telling is a way to reconnect to the past and as I said earlier, re-live the past. I think Beloved finds so much comfort in these stories because (if she is really Sethe's daughter) than she is hearing about her mother's past, things she's never heard before and is probably very eager to hear. I think story telling is going to continue throughout this book because it is a good way to relay information while also being able to feel what happened during the event that took place in the past.

No comments:

Post a Comment