Wednesday, March 4, 2009

How To Fix Racism

Although I can understand the frustration this man is experiencing with racism and his loss of identity, I think he dwells on these issues instead of moving on with his life. Since I am not in his position, I cannot judge it, but I feel he could be happier if he would let his opinion of how others judge him go. I realize America, and the world for that matter has a lot of issues with racism and discriminating against those of a different race but all it takes is one step in a positive direction and that can change one’s life.
I believe the narrator in this story is a hypocrite. He is all about playing the victim of discrimination, but he does the same towards people with different races than his own. For example, when the ‘white guy’ is playing basketball at the gym, the narrator states, “I was an Indian when it counted, and this BIA kid needed to be beaten by an Indian, any Indian.” which proves my argument exactly, that the narrator cannot treat others with ignorance if he wants to be treated fairly as well. If this racial hatred is ever going to end, then ALL people must stop hatred and racism, not just the accused ‘white guy.’ All of Earth’s races have harmed one another at one point in history, but we need to shake hands and start anew, because hate only continues to kill and cause pain and the world does not need anymore of that.
I agree that this narrator has every right to be upset about what America’s Founding Fathers did to the Native Americans. The actions that took place were horrendous and unacceptable, and I believe certain actions should be taken now to set things right, but one of these actions is not hate. He dwells and dwells on dreams of the past and what he thinks people are thinking about him. When he’s in the 7-11, he thinks the clerk is profiling him because he’s Indian. No! These racist thoughts are alive in the narrators mind, but not necessarily in the clerk’s. The narrator needs to accept that what happened, although horrible, is in the past, and then continue on with a positive and active mind-set that situations will improve. If the narrator would try to change, then I believe he would be healthier and happier.

No comments:

Post a Comment